1. We believe in the divine inspiration of the whole Bible. It is the sole source for all we teach and believe.
2 Timothy 3:16 all Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness.
2. We believe that there is one living and true God; that there are Three Persons in the Godhead, - the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. These Three Persons are equally God.
1 John 5:7-8 for there are three that testify: the Spirit and the water and the blood; and these three agree.
3. We believe that, before the foundation of the world, the Father elected certain of the human race to be saved and adopted as children of God through the merits of Jesus Christ.
Ephesians 1:5 he predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will.
We believe he made a covenant with the Son and with the Holy Spirit on behalf those chosen. In this covenant the Son was appointed as their Saviour.
John 17:6,9. …yours they were, and you gave them to me... I am praying for them. I am not praying for the world but for those whom you have given me, for they are yours.
1 Peter 1:1-2 elect...according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, in the sanctification of the Spirit, for obedience to Jesus Christ and for sprinkling with his blood.
4. We believe that because Adam and Eve sinned they died spiritually and that their descendants are in the same condition -
Romans 5:12 therefore, just as sin came into the world through one man, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all sinned...
unable to spiritually seek after, or love God until drawn by him.
John 6:44 no one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him.
5. We believe that God the Son as the Surety of his people became truly human. He existed from all eternity as the eternal Son of God. His human body was conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit in the womb of the Virgin Mary
Galatians 4:4 but when the fullness of time had come, God sent forth his Son, born of woman, born under the law.
We believe that Christ’s human nature consists of a true body and soul, which the Son of God took into union with his Divine Person at the time of his incarnation. This human nature was pure and holy - not sinful, or liable to sin, or under sentence of death because of sin (mortal) though capable of death by a voluntary act.
John 10:18 no one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. This charge I have received from my Father.
We believe that on behalf of his people Jesus, God the Son, lived a holy life and fulfilled the law. He suffered, bled, and died instead of his people and satisfied all the claims of God’s justice on their behalf.
Isaiah 53:10-11 it was the will of the Lord to crush him; he has put him to grief... Out of the anguish of his soul he shall see and be satisfied; by his knowledge shall the righteous one, my servant, make many to be accounted righteous and he shall bear their iniquities.
We believe that the Lord Jesus Christ rose physically from the dead.
Luke 24:39 see my hands and my feet, that it is I myself. Touch me, and see. For a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see that I have.
6. We believe that God’s elect are justified by the imputation of the righteousness of the Lord Jesus Christ and not by their works before or after calling. Through the blood of Christ their sins, past, present, and to come, receive full and free pardon.
Titus 3:5 he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy.
Ephesians 2:8-9 for by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.
7. We believe that regeneration is an act of God by The Holy Spirit.
John 1:13 who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.
8. We believe that all those chosen by the Father and redeemed by the Son will be convinced in their hearts of sin and guilt before God by the Holy Spirit, and come to Christ for salvation. Not one of the elect shall perish, but all arrive safely in glory.
John 6:37,39 all that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out. And this is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me, but raise it up on the last day.
9. We believe that by nature, all are spiritually dead.
Ephesians 2:3 among whom we all once lived in the passions of our flesh, carrying out the desires of the body and the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, like the rest of mankind.
We believe that those born again by the Holy Spirit will trust in nothing but the blood and righteousness of Jesus for salvation. And we believe that this teaching will not lead to licentiousness, but to a life of good works that are acknowledged to be acceptable to God only through the merits of Jesus Christ.
Romans 6:2 how can we who died to sin still live in it?
Ephesians 2:10 for we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.
10. We believe that no one can do works pleasing to God, unless they know Christ as their Saviour.
Matthew 7:22-23 On that day many will say to me, Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name? And then will I declare to them, I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.
11. We believe that faith, true spiritual repentance, hope, and assurance of pardon are God’s gifts. As through faith Christ is made precious to the soul so the soul responds with love to God. This will result in a lifestyle consistent with the Gospel.
James 2:18 I will show you my faith by my works.
12. We believe that everyone’s body will be resurrected.
John 5:28-29 an hour is coming when all who are in the tombs will hear his voice and come out, those who have done good to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil to the resurrection of judgement.
Those who trusted in Jesus for salvation will be resurrected in glory and honour. They will be openly acknowledged as children of God, acquitted in the Judgment Day and eternally blessed both in body and soul. The rest will be resurrected to be condemned, body and soul to hell, an eternity with the devil and his angels separated from God.
Matthew 25:34,41 then the King will say to those on his right, Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. Then he will say to those on his left, Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.
13. We believe that Baptism and the Lord’s Supper are ordinances of Christ, to be continued until His Second Coming. Baptism is by immersion in the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. It is an act of obedience by those who have trusted in Christ alone for salvation. Baptism itself has no regenerating merit. Only those who have professed faith and obeyed the Lord’s command to be baptized may partake of the Lord’s Supper.
1 Corinthians 11:24 when he had given thanks, he broke it, and said, This is my body which is for you. Do this in remembrance of me.
Mark 16:16 whoever believes and is baptized will be saved.
14. We believe God’s people are sanctified i.e. set apart by and for God.
i) They are the elect of God the Father.
ii) They are redeemed by God the Son.
iii) They are given new spiritual life, made a ‘new creature’ by God the Holy Spirit.
2 Corinthians 5:17 therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.
New spiritual life, an implantation of the Divine nature, produces an inward longing to be holy as God is holy, and to perfectly fulfil all the good pleasure of the Father’s will which is constantly opposed by the old, fallen, human nature.
Romans 7:22-23 for I delight in the law of God, in my inner being, but I see in my members another law waging war against the law of my mind.
God’s children do not experience any weakening, subduing, or rectification of the old nature or any general improvement that makes them at any time less dependent upon the Lord Jesus Christ, or less a sinner in their own estimation.
1 John 1:8 if we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
15. We believe that the grace of God will produce real change giving both the desire and the ability to resist ungodliness and worldly lusts, and to live in a God honouring way. There will be growth in grace i.e. a growing practical knowledge of the sinfulness of the old nature, the vanity of the creature, the glory of God, the spirituality of His law, and the need for and worth of Jesus Christ. This is accompanied by a deepening distrust of everything but the grace and love of God in Christ for salvation. There will be no growth in conscious goodness, but rather a deeper need for our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. Romans 7:14-25
16. We believe it is possible for the children of God to backslide, and that God will discipline his people for sin. A child of God is called from a life of sin to a life of righteousness, and would, according to the law of his mind, or new nature, in all respects obey God’s holy will as declared in the Scriptures, yet through the temptations of Satan, the allurements of the world, and the power and deceitfulness of indwelling sin, he may fall into sin for a while like David, Peter, and other Bible saints did. When this happens, God will, in various ways and degrees, discipline his children, not in vindictive anger, but in tender love, as a father does a son in whom he delights.
We believe that in this matter of chastisement for sin God will deal in a most sovereign way, and as a God of judgment; so that, though the punished child shall be made to discern the reason of the rod, it is seldom safe for others to judge according to the outward appearance.
Hebrews 12:5-6 my son, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord, nor be weary when reproved by him. For the Lord disciplines the one he loves.
We believe that no person living in habitual sin gives any proof that they are a child of God, we cannot, therefore, have fellowship with them.
2 Thessalonians 3:6 we command you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you keep away from any brother who is walking in idleness and not in accord with the tradition that you received from us.
17. We believe that the gospel is to be preached or proclaimed to all the world and that the invitations of the Gospel are intended to be heard indiscriminately.
Mark 16:15 go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation.
We desire, by the grace of God, that our manner of life, both in the world and in the church, will be consistent with these doctrines and such as brings honour to the gospel of Christ.
Titus 2:12 …training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age.
We desire as a Church to worship God according to His revealed will; to live together in humility and brotherly love; to watch over each other, to stir up one another to love and good works; and, when the case requires, to warn and admonish one another according to God’s Word. Also to be sympathetic towards each other whatever situations God, in his providence, may bring to us; to bear with one another’s weaknesses, failings, and infirmities; and particularly to pray for one another, and for all saints, that the gospel and its ordinances may build up and comfort our souls, and bring salvation to God’s elect.
For every blessing, temporal or spiritual, we ascribe all the praise to God.